2ChurchesFacing.jpg


                   The Parish Community of St. Bridget

 


                                Campuses: The Church of St Austin & The Church of St. Bridget 

         Served by the Franciscan Friars, TOR, Province of the Immaculate Conception

 




Parish History





wpe6aa8479.png

St. Bridget parish, named after the Irish saint, St. Bridget of Kildare, was formally established in May of 1915. Fr. James Donahoe was appointed as pastor.  In November of 1915, the first church, a wood frame structure, was completed, and the rectory, located near the church, was built three years later.

In 1922, St. Bridget’s School was opened, and in 1924, the school gym was remodeled to serve as a church.  This served as the parish’s primary place of worship until the building of a new church in 1958.

In 1930, a convent was built for the Benedictine Sisters who taught in the school, and in 1957 the school itself was expanded. In ____ St. Bridget School was consolidated into St. Elizabeth Seton School. Unfortunately, SESS closed in ____. Families interested in a Catholic education for their children can apply to many local schools including Sacred Heart and Immaculate Conception.

In 1974, the Franciscan Friars of the Third Order Regular arrived to provide pastoral guidance for the parish. They continue in that role to the present day. In 1977, the Friars moved into the former convent, then known as the friary. In 2010, the friars moved back into the rectory and portions of the convent are remodeled to serve the needs of the current tenant of the school building, Sojourner Truth Academy.